Thursday, October 10, 2013

How I Spent My Fall Vacation

No, I did not take a summer vacation. Our family loves the fall, so that’s when we usually take our vacation. This year we went to Lake Tahoe. Our home away from home was in Stateline, NV, right on the border of CA and NV so we spent time in both states.
I was a little worried when we first arrived in Reno and saw this in the sky:

Then we drove the hour or so to Stateline and were greeted with rain, which turned to slush, which turned to snow. Well, I guess that was to be expected considering we were at 7500 ft. elevation! Since the weather was yucky, we bought provisions at the local grocery store and hunkered down for the night.
The next day, we took a gondola ride to the Heavenly Ski Resort. I can see why they named it Heavenly. The views were outstanding. The snow I was annoyed with the day before was now well, heavenly. We got to throw snowballs, make a mini snow man, and pretend we were there to ski (not enough snow for that). After a yummy lunch from the grill, we took the ski lift to see even better views.

Day 3 was hiking day! We took a drive to the north side of the lake and hiked to another smaller lake, Eagle Lake. The hike was harder than we would’ve liked, but well worth it. The lake was stunning and quiet.

On our fourth day of the trip, we went on a paddleboat ride around Lake Tahoe. Our destination was Emerald Bay, aptly named because of the beautiful blue-green waters. The bay also boasts the only island on the Lake, Fannette, where there is a tea house that still stands from 1929. There is also a lovely mansion that is now maintained by the California Parks Department. A little windy on the way out, but the ride back was beautiful.

Since we were a little wind-whipped from the boat ride, we stopped at a nearby restaurant for soup. My husband and I both decided to try the pozole, a Mexican soup with green chiles, hominy, and chicken and topped with cabbage and lime. It was delicious. If you have never tried it, you should!
The last full day of our Tahoe trip was spent in Incline Village, a small ski resort town. We did some shopping at an outdoor gear store, had a hearty brunch at the famed Log Cabin Restaurant (famed because Rachael Ray stopped in 5 years ago!) and then hit the bowling alley. That’s right, we went bowling. It was my daughter’s only request. None of us are very skilled bowlers so it was all about the fun (see scores).

Coming back to Missouri was bittersweet. No more Sierra Nevada mountains, volcano-made lakes, or casinos on every corner. Just… Home Sweet Home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet