Friday, January 17, 2014

New Year, New Goals

Happy New Year and welcome back to campus! This time of year is always interesting. Some of us are focusing on our resolutions. Some of us are looking forward to what is to come in the next year. And some of us are just hibernating and wishing this cold, snowy weather would go away! I can say that I’m actually doing all three.

At the beginning of the year, I always make a list of things I want to accomplish: projects around the house, projects at work, personal goals, and fun things I’d like to do. What can I say? I’m a list-maker!

It’s at this time of year that I also like to examine my list from last year and see what I checked off the list. This is important to me because I like to feel that sense of accomplishment, which motivates me to do more in the future. It’s also important because some of the goals from last year that were not completed will need to be added to this year’s list. And some will be discarded because they are no longer important.

Here’s my top 5:

1.       Start saving for Hawaii. My husband and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary in a few years and want to celebrate it by going to Maui.

2.       Get our basement in order. We bought a 45 year old home and the basement is definitely stuck in the 80’s. We plan to re-carpet, reorganize, and get it to where we envisioned it—a comfortable and open play space for our daughter and a nice place to watch movies.

3.       Learn to play piano. My husband bought me a digital piano and it came with free lessons so I have no excuses!

4.       Get on a regular exercise regimen. Something always gets in the way—work, household chores, being tired—but it’s time to rid myself of excuses and JUST DO IT!

5.       Spend as much time as I can with my husband and daughter. My daughter will start kindergarten in August and my husband plans to start graduate school this year and I know things will really change. I want to enjoy all of our little moments and make lots of memories before we get bogged down with homework, crazy schedules, etc.

So, what are your plans for 2014? Do you make lists or do you just go with the flow? Whatever you do, I hope you make 2014 great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet