Thursday, April 3, 2014

What does the Fox Say?

What Does the Fox Say?
My favorite teacher in high school was my French teacher, Madame Leach. In our senior year, we read the famous book, Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince) by Antoine de Saint Exupery. That year, Madame gave each graduating senior a small laminated card with a quote from The Little Prince. It tells of the secret of the fox:

“Les yeux sont aveugles. Il faut chercher avec le coeur.” Loosely translated, it means: But the eyes are closed. You must looks with the heart.

I knew that for my teacher to present this card to each of her students, it must have meant something very important. But it took me a while to figure out what that was.
Here’s what I came up with: 
Look with your heart and you will see more clearly than what you can possibly see with your eyes. This applies to much in life such as love, important decisions, friendship, etc. When we “look” with our hearts, we “see” the possibilities that our eyes or mind do not always allow us to see. It’s like choosing a career path because you are passionate about it versus choosing a career based on earnings or power. You focus on what feels right in your heart, not what your rationale is telling you.
Maybe the fox is right. Maybe we should look with our hearts and be open to what it tells us.
What does your heart let you see?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet